Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Who Even Needs Hot Pockets? Kolache!

So recently, through sheer coincidence, I stumbled upon the wonder that is the Kolache (I think it's said ko-lack-y, but there's no pronunciation on Wikipedia). Apparently it's an Eastern European treat, which is basically a yeasty bun with myriad fillings, like fruits and cheeses (but not together. Maybe together. I would eat that). It's basically the Czech, edible version of the Hot Pocket, and, I gotta say, I would eat many of these.
Awesomeness available here.
Anyhow, there's apparently a huge chain of Kolache restaurants in mostly Texas, with smatterings of stores in like, Kansas and Colorado called The Kolache Factory. I putzed around the Web site, and, I have to say, I'm really glad that they answered this question for the sake of all interested parties:
Are kolaches a breakfast food, a lunchtime meal or are they a tasty snack?
Kolaches are all of the above — they're the ideal thing to eat any time of day. Kolache Factory offers its customers breakfast kolaches, lunch kolaches and even serves kolaches that are perfect as snacks. Because kolaches can be re-heated, people frequently have them for dinner.
The real question is, do these re-heatable kolaches come with a convenient crisping sleeve for the microwave? And, more importantly, how mouth-scorchingly hot is the filling??

But srsly, the menu looks really delicious. Fruit-filled Kolaches? Spinach-filled Kolaches? Philly Steak-filled Kolaches? Cheese and Jalapeno-filled Kolaches? Ham and Cheese-filled Kolaches?? I will take all of the above. Suck it Hot Pockets. Czechoslovakia FTW. 

No comments: